"The RoseBouquet"

About and FOR friends of Ruthe's Secret Roses

"The RoseBouquet"

My Computer Crisis!

You probably don’t care for this kind of news, but it is the major event in my life last week – and it is not quite complete yet.

As usual, last Thursday, I came to my computer as soon as I was dressed and had made my instant coffee. Only my computer would not come on! I tried this and that, and that too, and even changed the monitor, but it was as dead as a doornail.

Finally, I set up on my laptop for my devotional time, and to research the computer issue. After a while I was convinced it was just the powerbox that had experienced an electrical surge the day before when the power went off for just a minute. (That happened before years ago, and it only took minutes for a techie to install a new powerbox.)

The place where I’ve been going for computer parts and repairs has shut down during this COVID period, so I hunted for a new place. I found one just 2 blocks from my house. The owner said his technician was at the doctors, but yes, I could bring my computer over. I left it there, and he called shortly after to say his technician would be off all day. He figured it would just take 4 hours to diagnose the problem the next day.

That meant I had to find other things to do, and that evening was committed to my regular (& paying) client. I had to find a way to let Susan know that I wouldn’t be able to do the work until Friday evening.

So I busied myself with some deep cleaning in the kitchen, and when I got tired, I sat down to sort and put seeds away in containers and little brown envelopes. (I’ve already got 2 bins and most of a box full, but I haven’t dealt with all the marigold seeds yet. Want some?)

Friday morning I dashed off for a quick shopping trip to the Mission Thrift store to keep a promise to someone else. I hurried home so that I would not miss the call that my computer was ready for pickup. By 3:30 I was impatient enough to phone them.

“Well, the Tech is working on it at our other location; I’ll check with him and call you back.”

He called back in minutes to say that the motherboard was shot/wasted/toast. Really? I had been sure it was the powerbox. But they could sell me another computer for $99 or a bigger, better one for $130.

That would be used ones; I said I’d have to see them first. So he gave me directions to get to their other location at the west end. Q-Tech. I hurried over there. Saw that the $130 computer was bigger and more powerful than mine had been, which was already 7-9 years old. It came with a 1 TB hard drive. That would be nice, BUT…. I needed all the information and files and much valuable stuff on my old hard drive! I told the techie that I would pay extra if he would put my old 500 GB hard drive into this newer computer. I MUST have that ready for that same evening to work for a client! (eg. I had already put months into doing the layout for the publication was was to go to the printers soon for MHSS – If I had to do all that work over from scratch … oh, I couldn’t think about that!)

The techie said he would need another hour to do that. (My thought: my previous technical people have done that in less than 15 minutes!) I remained polite and said I would go shopping for a few things in Superstore and be back within the hour. I was too. Just as he was testing it to make sure the hard drive was accessible. It looked okay, so I paid. I put the computer box under my arm and headed for home.

Before I even made supper I hooked it up and made sure it was in good order. I was able to put in another 5 hours on the Historian and also send out an announcement ezine for this client.

Saturday I was in full domestic mode, getting ready for Thanksgiving with my guests, but of course, I had my BBN radio on all day on the computer. I was again, rather sleepy by the time I got settled in front of the computer in the evening.

So it was Sunday evening and yesterday that I began to notice that there were little quirks or problems. I could not login to some sites, my emails would not leave the Outbox…When I checked settings, I found that the computer had a different name than it used to, and that seemed to confuse it. For quite a while the cursor disappeared and either would not budge or was simply not even visible on the screen. I had to force a shutdown to clear some of that up.

Last night I did more research and discovered that moving a hard drive from one computer to another can cause such freaky incidents. I came to a conclusion: I must do a complete backup of all on this hard drive, and then erase it all, and install a newer updated system, LEAP 15.2, then I need to copy back all my files from the backup drive. I started the backup last night, but it will take some time to finish it and the fresh installation.

Even when that is all done, because I set up about 2 dozen domain emails in my KMail program, I know from the past that it will take nearly two days to complete those steps.

Conclusion/Notice: If you email me, it may take me a couple of days to answer. I haven’t vanished. But I’m re-starting with this computer.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Comments are closed.

WordPress SEO fine-tune by Meta SEO Pack from Poradnik Webmastera